Offices In Del Mar & Vista
Call Today For A Consultation

College funds and the divorce process

| Sep 13, 2016 | Divorce |

If a divorcing couple in California has children, college savings accounts may be a topic of discussion during property division negotiations. Although parents usually open these accounts with the same goals in mind, a divorce might make one spouse start to wonder how the other spouse will handle the college fund. To protect a child’s college fund after a divorce, it is important that college savings accounts are addressed in the separation agreement.

Divorcing parents may be able to negotiate a separation agreement that includes provisions about how college savings may be used and how college savings may not be used. A list of qualified withdrawals could be included in the separation agreement along with rules about how college funds may be withdrawn. Parents should also make sure that they have listed a successor owner on the college savings account.

There are many different kinds of college savings accounts, and some accounts are more secure than others. For example, the assets in a custodial 529 account can only go to the original beneficiary that was listed on the account because the beneficiary cannot be changed. The owner of a 529 savings plan or Coverdell ESA may change the beneficiary that is listed on the account if they choose to do so. However, the assets in a Coverdell ESA must be paid to the beneficiary within 30 days after the beneficiary’s 30th birthday.

If a divorcing parent has a college fund in a normal savings account, an attorney may be able to help the parent to decide whether to move the fund to a savings plan. An attorney may also help a parent to negotiate an agreement with the other parent about how to treat money that was designated as college savings after the divorce.

Effective. Efficient. Dedicated To You.

Our motto is “Settlement When Reasonable, Litigation When Necessary.” Our attorneys know how stressful family law disputes can be. Our goal is to help you resolve your case in the most effective and time-efficient manner possible.

Learn More